Saturday, November 8, 2008

Learning how to party

Um Tulip writes:

Well, we're still thinking about what to say regarding the election buzz. I've been listening to a lot of friends and their comments have been interesting. From "I heard Obama's mother was Jewish" to "America elected a black president? Mish tabii3i." and lots of "minshuuf". I personally was moved watching both the acceptance and concession speeches online. As someone who lives among many races (the kids at my son's birthday party last year were American, British, Sudanese, Indian, Jordanian, Palestinian, Korean, Swiss, and Slovakian, to name a few) I don't think I fully realized the impact of having an African-American president. The fact that this president will give hope to many African-Americans and spur them on to realizing their potential is a huge positive. I hope this impact will show us some of the best of what America is and ought to be.

Since that is all I have to say for now, I've copied a bit of another blog because I think the message is worth repeating. I read this comment after a post on Halloween. The blog is "Blog and Mablog" at http://www.dougwils.com, a site my husband frequents. I really enjoy his writing, and often agree with him.

"Christians need to learn to party. It's that simple. Our celebrations ought not seem like third-rate imitations of those who actually know how to party. Beer, (loud) music, and big fires certainly seems like a move in the right direction.

Our inability as American Evangelicals (or even Reformed types) to produce a culture worth looking at (think Contemporary Christian art and music) seems closely tied to the fact that we don't know how to party. The fact that we don't know how to party is directly tied to the fact that we don't know how to Sabbath."

Now, of course I need to plan some sort of party. However, with this pregnancy I keep falling asleep around 9:30 pm. Need to work on that....

1 comment:

Steve said...

Catching up on your blog.
Glad to see you reading Wilson!
Blessings!