Sunday, November 16, 2008

Baby Traditions


Um Tulip writes:
A few days ago we went to visit good friends who just had a beautiful baby boy. A tradition here is to make a yummy dessert called 'Karawyeh'. I took several pictures. I loved this stuff and actually went out and bought the ingredients so I can make it at home, even before our baby comes.



Ingredients:
1 cup ground rice (the spice area at Carrefour had 'ruz mathuun' and karawyeh spice available)
1 cup sugar
8 cups water
3 spoons of karawyeh spice
1 spoon cinnamon
1 spoon ground anis or 'yansuun'

Place in big pot, and bring to a boil. Let it simmer a few minutes, and it will thicken. Pour into small bowls for serving. Decorate with lots of yummy 'mkassaraat' or nuts. She used shredded coconut with almonds, pinenuts, walnuts, and pistachios. I think you could also add some raisins and it would be yummy. The texture reminded me of applesauce, and it was nice warm for a cool night. You can serve it warm or cold. BTW, karawyeh is the Arabic word for caraway, but I think the spice is actually caraway mixed with a few other things.
Sahtayn!

5 comments:

Sharon M said...

Was Umm Qais responsible for the recipe of this delectable dessert? Because, you know, that lady can COOK. I will try to make anything that comes out of her kitchen.

abu 'n um tulip said...

Actually our lovely secretary/ office manager extraordinaire made it. I'm still hoping that Umm Qais will be ready for another bun in the oven!

MommaBean said...

Funny, in my neck of the woods, it's called Mughli...

MommaBean said...

Oh, and it's one of the few local desserts I think is worth the calories...

abu 'n um tulip said...

Yeah, it is called mughli as well. From people I've asked, about half call it karawyeh and half call it mughli. Waraq dawaali or waraq 3einab, I'll still eat it!