Saturday, January 8, 2011

Dry Spell

Haven't blogged in about six months.  Kinzi tells me to get back at it, and I should.  Even if nobody else reads, I know it is good for me to write.  For those of you who don't know me in real life, we lost my father-in-law to a tragic tractor accident on the summer solstice.  The days got shorter and shorter until Dec. 21.  Now the days are getting longer, the sun is shining longer (although we're finally getting much-needed rain) and I'm hoping a new year will bring new hope.

On  a previous post I wrote about the garden we hoped to grow this summer.  After our emergency trip back to America, this is what became of our garden.   August passed by with squelching heat, and we couldn't get our apartment below 34 degrees Celsius for several weeks.  That's hot!  We spent a lot of days at the pool, teaching the Tulip kids to swim - or teaching our youngest not to jump in the pool without mommy or daddy there to catch him!

School started and we dove into teaching and learning.  I'm teaching creative writing to grades 1-6, and despite the headaches, I love my job.  I get to teach Oliver, which is great.  I'm so proud of his accomplishments in Arabic, as he takes Math, Science, Social Studies, PE, and music, etc. all in Arabic and is doing a great job.  I'll have to post about work later.

Teddy Bear is translating for the other foreigners in his KG class, which makes me so happy.  He loves school and all things spongebob and pirate.  Linus has a new name.  He'll be two next month, and his favorite object in his whole world is - you guessed it - his blankie.  Just wish I had been smart enough to buy two of the thing back when they were in the store. He speaks mostly in Arabic, which is darling.

We also moved this fall.  Our landlord had his old place open up, which is twice the size of our little 2 bedroom apartment.  For the first time ever, I had a home big enough to host Christmas dinner. Yes, that's  two turkeys in my sink.

Painting the pink ceilings (and pink and purple walls) has been a challenge, but having the space to play is such a joy.  I knew we made the right decision one day after all these things took place simultaneously.

1) Oliver was in his bedroom working at his desk with his tutor on his Arabic work.
2) Linus was taking a nap in peace and quiet.
3) Teddy Bear was playing with toys in the living room.
4) Abu Tulip was working in his office.
5) I was cooking in my kitchen.
6) My helper who comes a few times a week and keeps me sane was cleaning in the kitchen.

We all had SPACE to do what needed to be done. 

Most of November and December was busy with Christmas preparations with Dozan wa Awtar.  Abu Tulip and I both sang this past season, and all the rehearsals were well worth the reward of  performing with the most amazing community of singers I have every met.  It deserves its own post, soon.

Next week my mother-in-law and brother-in-law come to visit.  MIL is going to stay for two months and she will also have her own bedroom.  I'm so glad she's coming and the kids are going bonkers making plans for their arrival.  (Not going to mention the confetti or other plans just in case she reads my post.)

So here is my re-entry into blogging.  Let's see if I can keep it up.  Let's see if the rain keeps pouring, quenching the dry and weary land - the physical landscape where we live and my soul that is sore with grief and ready for relief.                 ~ Um Tulip

O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.


Anonymous said...

Do blog. I will check in weekly or so! Praying for you and your family, and country.

Rebecca said...

Welcome back. I've missed the news from you (though I'm glad I had a chance to hear it in person). Congrats again on the new house. It is a BIG blessing. :)

Zach said...

I feel terribly responsible for how awful your garden turned out while you were gone...I guess a green thumb, I am not in possession of. Better luck next year I hope?

If you've heard anything about your new ajnubee neighbors in my old house, do drop me an email and let me know sometime, and of course, if work or play ever brings you guys around Wisconsin - doubly let me know!

abu 'n um tulip said...

Z - the garden was a result of a crazy heat wave and would have survived only if we'd been around to water it 7 days a week. Haven't met the neighbors yet - been a busy all between teaching and singing. Will of course let you know if we head to Wisconsin this coming fall!