Monday, August 17, 2009

What Are They Teaching Kids These Days?


So today the kids were watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, which by the way, is a wonderful show which they love--much better than most of what we receive on "SpaceToon". Anyway, in this episode they were finding objects that were the colors of the rainbow--Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple. So apparently the official pronouncement that indigo is really the same as blue has found its way into the mass media.
But, I wonder, how will kids remember these colors and their order without Roy G. Biv?
And since Pluto is no longer considered a planet, I want to know what my very earnest mother just sat upon? Nine what? I want to know!
Scientific inquiry is great, but you really can't beat clever mnemonic devices.

--Abu Tulip

3 comments:

said...

You know what gets me? The things kids are taught about nutrition. I'll admit, the four food groups idea probably wasn't the smartest thing going, but have you seen the most recent version of the food pyramid? It's crazy. It looks like something that belongs on a Pink Floyd album cover. No kid is going to understand that. And while we're on the topic of strange things kids get exposed to, when did Cookie Monster stop eating cookies? I don't know if I want to live in a world where Big Bird and Oscar hang out with the Broccoli Monster.

Anonymous said...

I concur with Jeff - what kind of a world is that anyway? I also enjoyed the nine what comment. Btw- I started my own blog and am following yours so you can get the link.

abu 'n um tulip said...

Indeed. Cookie Monster really needs to eat more cookies. They are not, and never have been, merely a "sometimes" food for him. Give me a break. As for the food pyramid, haven't seen it.

-Abu Tulip