Friday, September 11, 2009

Orange

The Black Iris is a great blog about what's going on in Jordan.  The writer has put forth a challenge to all it's readers.  Get people to read his 'Open letter to Orange' and get on the top 10 of a Google search about Orange.  For my friends in the States, Orange is the local telephone/internet/mobile company that causes headaches for all who want to communicate with others using any type of technology.



We have had our share of horror stories.  Recently we needed service and after being promised 5 to 10 days, an employee came to fix our service 21 days later.  I was actually impressed they came at all.  Another friend told me, "when we requested internet service it took them 9 weeks to come and set it up, after a promise of 5 to 10 days - 3 weeks is amazing for Orange".  The most difficult time was last year when our speed was down.   We had a techy friend take a look at things and could tell we were getting the wrong speed.  We weren't able to Skype or Vonage as the connection was painfully slow.  After several weeks of infuriating phone calls to 'customer service'  I took matters into my own hands.  I wore a nice outfit and heels, and headed to the main office.  With the security guards yelling at me not to enter the restricted area and telling me I had to go to the customer service area downstairs, I demanded in loud, clear, English that I needed to speak with somebody about my internet service.  I refused to leave, and eventually a big shot heard the commotion and invited me into his office.  Nice, big leather couches and I was served Turkish coffee.  Within minutes we were talking with tech support.  By the end of the day, I had a call from tech support telling me that indeed, they were giving us the wrong speed and the problem had fixed.  No, I was not reimbursed for the months I received the wrong connection speed, but at least the problem was fixed.  Now, some days the connection is fast enough to Skype.  Of course, even as I write this post (now for the second time as I forgot to save it earlier and the connection was dropped) the internet is spotty and I'm not sure when I'll actually be able to post.

Please read the following excerpt:

Since writing that open letter to Orange Telecom Jordan on their terrible service I’ve noticed the link really flying around the twittersphere. It’s gotten around 1,700 views in the past 48 hours, which, along with the comments and emails people left me, is a real indication that many are simply not happy with the Kingdom’s telecom giant and it’s level of service.
As I warned in the letter, blogs and social media can have an impact, and the people who read them, use them and support them are at the helm of that impact. Google’s Top 10 search results for ‘Orange Jordan’ already places the open letter in the 8th position.
So I have a request for my fellow bloggers and my dear readers (for anyone who’s interested that is), let’s build on this letter - maybe (just maybe) it can have the desired impact we’re looking for.
Consider it an experiment in Jordanian social media. People are constantly asking me whether Jordanian bloggers have an impact on politics in Jordan - and I always say probably not. But let’s see if we, as customers and as citizens, can use blogs and social media to impact the private sector.
I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of just writing…
Let’s do a bit of cyber activism and see what happens.
So, who’s in?

Please do your bit to promote cyber activism.  Thanks!   ~ Um Tulip

No comments: